Audition Dates: November 18, 6:30– 9; November 21, 10 AM –12 PM (callbacks 1-3 if needed)
or by appointment: 408-804-3366
Show Dates: 2016 – March 25/26, 7:30; March 27, 2 PM matinee; April 1,2 7:30; April 3, 2 PM matinee
Audition and Rehearsal Location: The Annex, Copeland Building, 395 and County Road, Minden (next to Coffee on Main)
Synopsis of the play: Adapted from the original French story by Pierre Barillet and Jean-Pierre Gredy, Forty Carats by Jay Allen, tells the story of Ann Stanley, a 40 year-old divorcee whose car breaks down while vacationing in Greece. Rescued and then introduced to the romance of the island by a young man in his early twenty’s, Anne is taken on a whirlwind tour. Back in New York, she returns to problems with her real estate business, her mother, her 20 year-old daughter Trina, and ex-husbands while fending off the advances of a middle-aged client. One evening a young man arrives to escort her daughter and turns out to be the youth from Greece. Not only is the attraction between them still strong, but the amorous client then falls for Trina! Julie Harris won a Tony Award for her performance as Ann and Liv Ullman starred in the film version of the play along with Edward Albert and Gene Kelly.
- Ann Stanley: strong, starring female lead – plays around 40 years old (actor can be younger or older)
- Peter Latham: starring male romantic comedy lead – plays in early 20’s (actor can be younger or older)
- Mrs. Adams: a wealthy, looky-loo client of Ann's real estate office – 30’s and up
- Mrs. Margolin: Ann’s office manager – 30’s on up
- Billy Boylan: ex-husband - washed up actor - mid-forties to early sixties
- Eddy Edwards: real estate client of Ann’s – early-forties. Wealthy Southerner - Trina’s love interest
- Maud Haynes: Ann’s eccentric mother, lives with Ann – great character role - plays in 60’s (actor can be younger or older)
- Trina Stanley: Ann’s daughter, lives with Ann – plays in early 20’s – could be played by a HS student
- Mrs. Latham: Peter’s mother – supporting role - 40’s
- Mr. Latham: Peter’s father – supporting role - 40’s
- Patrick Graham: Peter’s mother’s golf pro – any age – athletic
No parts will be pre-cast. Roles will be cast from cold readings from the script. Sides will be available 30 minutes prior to auditions for review. Please bring theater experience bio if you have one – experience is not required, and we encourage anyone interested to audition.
Rehearsals begin in January, with an initial read-through to be held before Christmas. It is expected those cast will begin memorizing parts over the holidays. Rehearsals will be most probably be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 6:30/7 PM to 9PM depending on cast availability. Not all cast will need to be at all rehearsals, but cast should be available on those nights they are needed. All cast members must be available for ALL rehearsals from March 15 on, when rehearsals may extend to 3 or more nights a week. Tech week rehearsals will be daily, Sunday-Thursday, March 20–24, and are mandatory for all cast members.